Monday, May 12, 2014

Extended Raby - Quoting Jess Bourget

So for this post, I figure I'd work off of a couple of things that Jess Bourget had said in her blog that I wanted to explore and expand a little bit.

"Becoming"
So Jess discusses the idea that teens are also viewed as needing to figure out who they will be when they grow up. I remember this being one of the biggest stressers in my life. Honestly, it still is. I think that as a culture we press our youths to figure out their lives before they've even had the chance to live it. I think it's odd that while we have this mentality that teens are becoming who they will be, we kind of ignore who they actually are. I remember that all my dreams of acting were kind of just dismissed because I was told they were just that - dreams. Dreams would never pay for food or a place to live. Even to this day, I still have people ask me "So what are you going to do after college?" As if what I'm doing now is irrelevant. As if I have to have a life fully planned out. I also think that a lot of the dismissing that happens during teenagehood is responsible for a lot of negative feelings about self worth - after all, how can you figure that out if you don't even have the space to understand yourself?

Definitely reminds me about that whole hey teens aren't some alien life form thing. Yeah. I mean cuz I honestly think that we forget that teens have their own shit going on too. I remember my Dad always telling me that I had no idea what it was like to have stress. I was too young.

Also. That Social problem picture. Yeah. That was my gpoy. without a doubt. Here's me as a teen
Tender age o' 14. I was punk as shit, man!

No comments:

Post a Comment